Saturday, October 3, 2015

DIY Where's Waldo Costume

Halloween is coming up. Here is a cheap and quick last-minute costume!




As a kid, I always loved the Where's Waldo books. Sometimes I would get frustrated at them because I could never find Waldo.:P
 (image found at google.com)


For Reformation Day, I wanted to be Waldo. I already had dark blue jeans, red and white striped t-shirt, brown shoes, and nerdy glasses. However, I did not have a red beanie. Since I did not want to buy a red beanie, I decided to make my own! I looked on Ravelry for some beanies but decided to make my own instead.

Using some red yarn from Red Heart, I began to make the hat:
I basically used the same pattern for my Easy Pom Pom Beanie which is from Lion Brand. Here's the link to the pattern!
I made a few adjustments and here is the new pattern I came up with:

Materials:
Red worsted weight yarn
6.00 mm crochet hook
Plastic needle

Beanie:
Ch 42
Row1: In the 3rd ch away from the hook, hdc. Hdc in every st across.
Row2- desired length: Ch2, turn, hdc in the BACK LOOPS ONLY in every st across.

BO with long tail for sewing.

Once you have your rectangle, fold it in half (Fold it so that the ribbed texture is vertical instead of horizontal)and sew the side opposite to the folded side to create a tube.




With a long strand of yarn of the same colour, thread around the top of the tube and pull tightly. If there is still a hole at the top, sew it together until the hole is closed.

Beanie done!

The beanie was quite long, so I folded the bottom up. I really like this beanie because I can either keep the bottom unfolded for the beanie to be slouchy, or I could fold it up to make it more like a standard beanie.

Here is a super easy and quick way to make a pom pom with just your hands!!
Wrap red yarn around your hand till it is super thick, tie a string in the center, and cut through the two loops.

After making the pom pom, I sewed it to the hat. Finished beanie:



Here are the other things you will need for the costume:
1. Red and white striped top
2. Dark blue jeans
3. Glasses
4. Brown/ Beige shoes



Tada! I am Waldo!


Have fun crafting and crocheting!
~Anna

This pattern is an original pattern by Anna S. from Spool of Sunshine(October 2015). Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but you may not sell or distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your patterns! They are the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete